TEHRAN, 17 June 2019 (UNIC) – United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his message on World Day to Combat Desertification, 17 June 2019 said every year, the world loses 24 billion tons of fertile soil.
The full text of his message reads:
Desertification, land degradation and drought are major threats affecting millions of people worldwide, particularly women and children.
Twenty-five years ago, 197 Parties adopted a landmark Convention aimed at mobilizing global action.
Yet much remains to be done.
Every year, the world loses 24 billion tons of fertile soil.
And dryland degradation reduces national domestic product in developing countries by up to 8 per cent annually.
We must urgently change such trends.
Protecting and restoring land – and better using it – can reduce forced migration, improve food security and spur economic growth. It can also help us to address the global climate emergency.
On this World Day, let us recognize the imperative of combating desertification as part of our efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- معرفی سازمان ملل متحد برای دانش آموزان دبیر ستان صبا
- Briefing on UN for Saba high school students
- Making infrastructure more climate-resilient can have a benefit-cost ratio of about six to one
- افزایش نسبت سود به سرمایه تا شش برابر در صورت ایجاد زیر ساخت مقاوم تر دربرابر تغییرات اقلیمی
- دختران، نماینده های قدرتمند برای تحول – آنتونیو گوترش