Over the past five years, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, UNHCR and national and international partners consisting of several NGOs and INGOs have firmly rooted their assistance to Afghan refugees in the regional, multi-year framework of the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR), which is now complemented by the addition of the Resilience and Solutions Measures.
A quadripartite multi-year regional strategy between the governments of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran together with UNHCR, the SSAR, was launched in 2012. The strategy aims to ensure the protection of Afghan refugees in Iran whilst seeking to find durable solutions for them in the coming years. In Iran, this includes investing in their education and health, empowering the youth and expanding skills and livelihoods opportunities while ensuring protection and asylum space in the country.
The realignment of the SSAR is reflected in the regional Resilience and Solutions Measures which was launched following the UN High Commissioner’s visit to Iran and the region in June 2016. These measures contribute to building resilience among Afghan refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities and to finding innovative solutions to their situations. They are articulated around five key areas of intervention: (1) access to protection (policy and legal framework), (2) access to basic services (3) youth empowerment through education, skills training and livelihood support (4) support for durable solutions and (5) advocacy, coordination and partnership.
As a follow up to the first joint BAFIA-UNHCR SSAR meeting held on 26 September 2016, BAFIA and UNHCR convened their second all partners meeting on 1 March to further discuss the implementation of the Resilience and Solutions Measures, and to monitor progress towards the strategy’s objectives in enhancing and improving access to basic services for refugees in Iran.
- 1 July 2019 - World Refugee Day in Tehran Highlights 40th year of the Afghan Refugee Situation As Global Displacement Hits Record High
- تیر 98 - روز جهانی پناهنده در تهران بیانگر چهلمین سال وضعیت پناهندگان افغانستانی همزمان با افزایش بی جاشدگی ها در جهان
- 20 June 2019 - UN Chief praises humanity of countries that host refugees
- 18 June 2019 - The Government of Japan Continues to Support Humanitarian Assistance to Afghan refugees in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- خرداد 98 - دولت ژاپن همواره به پشتیبانی از کمک های انسان دوستانه به پناهندگان افغانستانی در جمهوری اسلامی ایران ادامه می دهد