To commemorate his first ever World Refugee Day as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Mr. Filippo Grandi has chosen to visit the Islamic Republic of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. This was combined with his will to show respect to the holy month of Ramadan, and his solidarity with the millions of Afghan refugees in the region. He launched his tour with a visit to Iran - hosting close to one million refugees - where World Refugee Day was commemorated on 18 June.
Set in Masoudieh historical building in Tehran, the High Commissioner and the Deputy Minister of Interior for Security and Disciplinary Affairs, Dr. Zolfaghari, both addressed the audience. Refugees themselves, the International and Diplomatic Community, Government authorities, national and international NGOs, and many others attended the event to stand in solidarity with refugees - in Iran and around the world.
As part of the event, the High Commissioner’s visiting delegation and all participants also toured theUNHCRphotography exhibition on the refugee situation in Iran, and visited an impressive refugee-led exhibition of handicrafts and livelihoods activities. The display stalls gave refugees from different parts of Iran the opportunity to showcase their skills and achievements learned during their stay in the country.
The World Refugee Day 2016 motto, “we stand #WithRefugees“, was also reflected in the ‘photo booth’ area which invited attendees to pose with the slogan, and to sign the international UNHCR petition calling on governments to share responsibility for refugee situations worldwide. In Iran, World Refugee Day will also be commemorated in the provinces of Esfahan, Kerman, Khorasan and Fars during this week.
Last modified onSunday, 26 June 2016 15:08
- 1 July 2019 - World Refugee Day in Tehran Highlights 40th year of the Afghan Refugee Situation As Global Displacement Hits Record High
- تیر 98 - روز جهانی پناهنده در تهران بیانگر چهلمین سال وضعیت پناهندگان افغانستانی همزمان با افزایش بی جاشدگی ها در جهان
- 20 June 2019 - UN Chief praises humanity of countries that host refugees
- 18 June 2019 - The Government of Japan Continues to Support Humanitarian Assistance to Afghan refugees in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- خرداد 98 - دولت ژاپن همواره به پشتیبانی از کمک های انسان دوستانه به پناهندگان افغانستانی در جمهوری اسلامی ایران ادامه می دهد